I had my first “smilestone” of the trip today. I crossed into Idaho saying goodbye to Washington. I was on such a small back road that there was no sign welcoming me to Idaho but it is my second state. The expression smilestone instead of milestone is courtesy of Tom and Deb Gardner, https://keepcalmandpedalonblog.com/a couple that made the cross country journey on the same route that I’m on. I learned a lot from their blog and had several phone calls with them before leaving for my trip. Thanks Tom and Deb!
Things that I knew and didn’t know about Washington
- The coast is beautiful, cool, and wet
- There are two mountain ranges (the coastal or Olympic and the Cascades
- Eastern Washington is a dessert
- They grow a lot of apples
- There is private land owned by non- native americans on Indian reservations